Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Storms"

Isn't it amazing how the sun can be shining, birds chirping and not a cloud in the sky- then all of a sudden a storm pops up, out of nowhere. Gradually, the sky darkens, the wind begins to blow and the rain pours. Storms- they can just pop up out of the blue when it seems like everything is going great.


The "storms" that show up in our lives are just as quick to come in as the ones that cloud the clear blue sky. Within just a few minutes, the car windows you had rolled down as you were enjoying the breeze in your hair, need to be frantically rolled up because the wind begins to blow the rain in. The chair that you were sitting in under the tree as you read your book, has to be quickly put in the garage or it will blow across the road. Haven't we had those days where you were going right along ...enjoying your life, your family, your job and then boom...something happens...the clouds roll in- with fear and uncertainty. That jolt of thunder- your child has problems at school and you can't bear to see his heart hurting. Clash the streak of lighting- brings you to face a sudden death of a friend or a family member. Rain...the downpour- a business that you have built just begins to be washed away.

It happens those "storms" but what we do during the storm is as important as the joy we have when things are going great, with no problems, no questions...just happiness. That's easy- being happy when things are going great. But the true test, the true blessing is to praise Him during the storm. Sometimes we wonder why bad things happen to good people. We may question why we are having to go through a difficult time. It's even hard not to get mad at God. We can get mad, we can sit in self pity but He never leaves us. He'll be there once the storm passes, he'll even be there during the storm, if we look to Him. Knowing He alone can be the great Comforter.


My mind goes back to the story of Jesus and the disciples as they cross the the lake. All the disciples reacting to the storm that popped up, how they didn't know what to do...how they were concerned that they would die.....as they just let Jesus lie there. It wasn't until they woke Him and asked Him to help them that he was able to calm the sea. God remind me to ask.....Remind me to praise you during the storm. That with those "storms" bring endurance, perseverance, humilty....character....You say you will never leave us, or forsake us. It is written, do not be afraid for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Let me not be afraid. Let me grow in my faith.

Words from one of my favorite songs...I was sure by now that you would have reached down and wiped our tears away, stepped in and saved the day, but once again I say Amen and it's still raining. And as the thunder rolls, I barely hear you whisper through the rain, I am with you. And as your mercy falls, I raise my hands and praise the God who gives and takes away. And I'll praise you in the storm and I will lift my hands. You are who you no matter where I am.

God is good. "Rejoice in the good things the Lord your God has given to you...."Deuteronomy 26:11.

As you can probably tell by my entry....the "storms" of life are clouding our view. But we rest in Him and look to Him. As we begin this journey, storms roll in but we rest in the blessed assurance that God is with us. We will be traveling to Little Rock Monday for the 2nd part of the home study. I've been working on mounds of paper work the last couple of days. We are still not sure as to go forward with the international adoption or the domestic or both...We really feel like domestic could be an option but I think my problem is the uncertainty. It's like with the international adoption it seems more "controllable". If really anything we do is really controlled? I think that's my problem...needing to make a plan...when the only plan is His. Please continue to pray for us, that we look to Him for the wisdom rather than trying to figure it out for ourselves! God bless each of you. Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: